THE GRIEFGLOW MANIFESTO: WHY THIS BLOG?

This blog finds its roots in the losses of my life and my slow, stumbling, but steady path towards healing. Of all the resources I explored when I was newly bereaved and deep in grief, the most powerful ones were those that simply shared someone else's story. The least helpful were those that either tried to fix or change me, or communicated with such mutedness and sadness they seemed to make my own sadness worse. In reacting to such times, I came up with something I called the GriefGlow manifesto, which goes as follows. I am pleased to share it and some glimpses of my journey with you. So, the GriefGlow Manifesto: Because grief is never black and white. Because healing is hard enough without coloring everything around us gray. Because we're just sad, not broken. Because we are a community, even when we feel the most alone. Because a picture is worth a thousand words when we have no words to say. Because we don't need to be changed, fixed, taught, or hurried. Because being vulnerable isn't the same as being powerless. Because our story isn't over. Because the world is as beautiful as it is painful. And because though a little bit of beauty can't change the pain today, it may help us toward healing tomorrow.



Sunday, January 2, 2011

EBB AND FLOW: apologies and a new year's greeting

When I opened up this blog today I was shocked to see that I had not posted here since October. How could more than two months have passed? Where have I been?

I'm not exactly sure.

I think that's why it was so hard to blog. Everything seemed unclear there for a while. I found myself revisiting all sorts of actions and feelings from the past, looking at them in a new way. I felt the grief for my late parents again, or perhaps I should say I felt a new sense of loss for and celebration of them for the first time. I revisited the way my home was arranged, and moved most of the things in it until it felt more authentic to the way I feel and live now. I sold some things I had owned for decades, and donated many more. I revisited the issue of my writing, which again got pushed rather onto the back burner during the year, and the related issue of my teaching and consulting business.

Several times during the process I had flashes of memory from my childhood days on the beach. The motion of the waves fascinated me. And the complex, moody play of colors. The endless changes and movements. The way the water moved the things in its path. Some of the round, heavy pebbles of that northern beach seemed barely jostled by each new wave, but as I stood there, rooted and watching, they did move, sometimes quite far.

That's probably why I remembered those beachside experiences during this time. They seemed a newly apt metaphor for the place where I find myself. Little in my life seems to have changed, and at times I feel that I have made little progress. And yet even the heaviest of the stones move if I wait long enough, and muster enough patience for the slow, eddying work of time.

From my place in the ebbing and flowing of life, I send a New Year's Greeting to all of you out there, and wish that you will have a deep and fluid twenty-eleven. You will find me posting here again, now that I know once more where I am. I am here on the beach, honing my capacity to muster the grace and patience to let the rocks move.

No comments:

Post a Comment