THE GRIEFGLOW MANIFESTO: WHY THIS BLOG?

This blog finds its roots in the losses of my life and my slow, stumbling, but steady path towards healing. Of all the resources I explored when I was newly bereaved and deep in grief, the most powerful ones were those that simply shared someone else's story. The least helpful were those that either tried to fix or change me, or communicated with such mutedness and sadness they seemed to make my own sadness worse. In reacting to such times, I came up with something I called the GriefGlow manifesto, which goes as follows. I am pleased to share it and some glimpses of my journey with you. So, the GriefGlow Manifesto: Because grief is never black and white. Because healing is hard enough without coloring everything around us gray. Because we're just sad, not broken. Because we are a community, even when we feel the most alone. Because a picture is worth a thousand words when we have no words to say. Because we don't need to be changed, fixed, taught, or hurried. Because being vulnerable isn't the same as being powerless. Because our story isn't over. Because the world is as beautiful as it is painful. And because though a little bit of beauty can't change the pain today, it may help us toward healing tomorrow.



Tuesday, July 13, 2010

THE LOSING SEASON

I've been very aware that I haven't posted on this blog at all since the anniversary of my mother's death in late June. I was busy with a cluster of deadlines at work, but the anniversary of my father's death on July 5 also silenced me for a bit. I was surprised by how deeply I felt it, having just written about being able to move past some of the painful memories of my mother's passing. I had forgotten that this season has a cumulative power for me, and that I usually feel far more subdued near the end of it than near the beginning.

When I was younger, this time of year seemed filled with happy events and rituals. (The picture of my dad at left is from a happy summer many decades past.) Now, from Mother's Day through the Fourth of July, not a couple of weeks goes by without some date or holiday that reminds me of my parents' lives, and also their absence. Dad's birthay is the week after Mother's Day; Father's Day and the anniversary of Mom's death are in June; Dad died on July 5. There are even two sports events during this time, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open golf tournament, that hold special memories of them.

These things no longer make me feel as sad as they did right after my parents' deaths. But the rhythm of these months with their small detonations of grief and memory still has a bittersweet feel, as does the Fourth in particular. I'm not sure I will ever forgot going home from the hospital late in the evening of Independence Day, 2005, and seeing the fireworks of a holiday I had forgotten explode in the dark sky over the road I drove along. Dad, who had broken his hip three days before, was unconscious by this time, blessedly sleeping and peaceful. As I watched the bursts of color high above the road it felt as though he were speaking to me, reminding me that it was time for him to be free of a body filled with injuries and illness. Selfishly, I did not want him to go. What daughter who can count her father not just as parent but as friend ever does? But he was ready, and I knew it. No fireworks have ever looked more beautiful to me, or spoken more painfully of independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment