THE GRIEFGLOW MANIFESTO: WHY THIS BLOG?

This blog finds its roots in the losses of my life and my slow, stumbling, but steady path towards healing. Of all the resources I explored when I was newly bereaved and deep in grief, the most powerful ones were those that simply shared someone else's story. The least helpful were those that either tried to fix or change me, or communicated with such mutedness and sadness they seemed to make my own sadness worse. In reacting to such times, I came up with something I called the GriefGlow manifesto, which goes as follows. I am pleased to share it and some glimpses of my journey with you. So, the GriefGlow Manifesto: Because grief is never black and white. Because healing is hard enough without coloring everything around us gray. Because we're just sad, not broken. Because we are a community, even when we feel the most alone. Because a picture is worth a thousand words when we have no words to say. Because we don't need to be changed, fixed, taught, or hurried. Because being vulnerable isn't the same as being powerless. Because our story isn't over. Because the world is as beautiful as it is painful. And because though a little bit of beauty can't change the pain today, it may help us toward healing tomorrow.



Monday, June 21, 2010

FATHER'S DAY: the shadows of loss

Today was Father's Day, which also means that it was the last day of the annual U.S. Open golf tournament. Watching the Open was a family tradition when my parents were alive; we all gathered for lunch or Sunday dinner, then watched the golf as the afternoon wore on. Dad loved the intricacy and unpredictability of the game, and I found enjoying it with him both fun and deeply relaxing. (Translated: I often dozed happily off.) Mom would come in and out, cheering on the family favorites and bringing snacks in her time-honored way. There was always good food to be had at their house—the same could not always be said at my single-woman's house across town—and her goodies became as much a part of our Father's Day tradition as the Open's deep roughs and punishing hole placements.

I watched a bit of the tournament this year. It was held at beautiful Pebble Beach and it was full of its usual twists and turns. But sports-watching isn't quite the same without Dad, just as antiquing has lost much of its charm for me now that Mom isn't there to share my outings. It's not that I never go antique shopping, or never enjoy some sporting event on TV, or never think I might enjoy them again. It's just that for me, it turns out that both things were pleasureable more as a way to spend time with the folks than as an activity in themselves.

I guess what I'm saying is really simple, in the end: when we lose the people we love most, we sometimes lose the pastimes we loved most, too. Could I get my joy those pastimes back? Probably. But without Mom and Dad, I just don't have the desire to. Easier and more rewarding to find new pursuits, ones that don't have the shadow of loss to dim their pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment